“From a very high Foot Hill we gazed on this prospect with admiration and wonder. Within three miles stood the grand old mountain, the wild goat and sheep sporting on its high summit. At the foot of the hill, and in perfect ignorance of our presence, a band of buffalo were feeding on the richest pasture. To the right of us, and on the north bank of the river, lay the location which we have selected for our new mission.” -Reverend George McDougall, May 28, 1873.
Located 30 kilometres west of Cochrane on Highway 1A, the McDougall Church is a remnant of the Stoney Mission Society and a steward for Morleyville Settlement Historic Site. Overlooking the Bow River Valley and Rocky Mountains, this 43 acre area was the site of the first non-native settlement in southern Alberta. Built in 1875, the McDougall Church was the first Protestant Church built by Reverend George McDougall and his son, John, both pioneer Methodist Missionaries. Presently, this lone little white church, well over a century old, is surrounded by the natural beauty of the Foothills grasslands and has been designated as a provincial historical resource. On selected dates, memorial services and weddings are still celebrated in this historic church.
Canvas Giclées are available in 30″ x 20″ image size and are only available framed.
The price is based on the size of the giclée and the frame chosen.